Our three areas of focus
We specialize in three major aspects of IP Counsel for our technology clients. They include protection, commercialization, and enforcement of our clients' valuable IP.
Our lawyers handle the registration of the main types of Intellectual Property Rights such as Trade Marks, Patents and Registered Designs. We also advise regularly on the protection of unregistered Intellectual Property Rights such as copyright, trade secrets and confidential information.
In addition, our team advises on legal issues relating to the Internet and personal data protection, including the conduct of e-Commerce activities and the use and protection of intellectual property rights.
Some notable transactions include:
- Advising a local distributor of sports equipment and apparel on the setting up of an online shopping portal
- Advising several companies and associations in Singapore on compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act
- Managing the portfolios of the following entities:
- Several Ministries and Statutory Boards of the Singapore Government
- An internationally known and highly regarded airline
- Several companies listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- US Electronics Fortune 500 company
- A Dubai based manufacturer of consumer electronics
- A Singapore based online entertainment platform provider
The department advises regularly on commercial transactions with particular experience in technology, franchising and media work. Our significant experiences include:
- Advising a UK company on the IP aspects of their acquisition of a local company providing online hotel reservation services
- Conducting due diligence on brand ownership in relation to a brand acquisition exercise
- Advising a local insurance company on the acquisition of a licence to use a customised software in the implementation of a system to enhance their business
- Instructing a local statutory board on tender documents and contractual issues for a software development contract
- Advising a Shanghai-based company on their rights under a technology licence agreement with a US company
- Counseling a local company on the acquisition of clean technology from a Korean company
- Advising a local mobile communications company on the acquisition of mobile traffic technology from a US company
- Instructing several statutory boards in Singapore on the issuance and award of tender contracts
- Representing leading Indian generic companies in overcoming the worldwide legal hurdles when faced with bringing new generic products into the market.
- Advised an international auto racing team in a range of IP and IT related issues including IP and software licenses, R&D and technology transfer agreements, website agreements and a technology supply agreement with a leading Spanish telecom company.
We advise on the enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights, including:
- Advising on pre-use infringement risks, infringement issues and other contentious matters relating to Intellectual Property Rights in Singapore
- Conducting opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings in relation to trade marks in Singapore
- Representing clients in the commencement or defence of infringement proceedings and other contentious matters relating to Intellectual Property Rights in Singapore
- Representing a local media giant in trade mark opposition proceedings against a Malaysian competitor
- Advising a local technology company on patent infringement
- Representing a collective management organisation against an application to vary the charges imposed under a copyright licence scheme for the reproduction or copying of karaoke videos
- Enforcing the rights in the Netherlands of a Singapore-based company against a Dutch counterpart in respect of false allegations of IP infringement
- Advising a publicly listed company in Singapore in respect of patent infringement claims
- Acting for a leading Japanese manufacturer in a dispute over alleged infringement of a patent relating to the computer control systems of food packaging machinery
- Acting for a major Italian manufacturer in the bio-medical and electro-medical equipment sector in pursuing a claim for patent infringement of one of its devices used for carrying out specific surgical procedures.
- Acting for an Italian sports celebrity against an international beverage company in a trade name dispute.